Jacqui a young pregnant mother reached out for my help with designing her baby girl’s arrival in a few months.
The first thing I asked of Jacqui, was to give me her preferences because a baby’s nursery does not necessarily have to be a traditional, pastel-coloured room. This is a room Jacqui has to feel right for her baby and this is definitely one area I cannot impose on 😀
To my delight, she came back to me saying that she wanted the nursery to be girlie and to have the colour pink dominate the room.
- So what do I have to keep in mind as I start sketching, researching and creating my mood board? Furniture placement is first on the list. Considering furniture placement and safety as the baby starts getting mobile, leaving a substantial area of the room without furniture for the baby to have ample space to move around and play.
- Look for a crib which fits the room but can also work as a ‘Next to Me’ [Image 1]. This type of crib is designed to allow the parent to sleep next to her baby without sharing the same bed, as recommended by the baby experts.
- A piece of furniture which can double up as a nappy changer is of utmost importance.
- Adding a dimmer to lighting allows adjusting the mood of the room as needed
- When sourcing fabrics I kept in mind, washable fabrics and rugs that can be easily cleaned.
- Being I had a free hand with pink, I went big on that colour but I added Grey hues because it works so well with pink hues and makes the room look modern but classic.
- I included pattern in the window Roman Blind and the area rug.
- Adding the modern rocking horse to the nursery was the cherry on the cake.
Some of my favourite tips would be to include :
- Letters on the wall
- Adults tend to spend time in baby’s nursery getting baby to sleep or watching over the baby. Incorporate comfortable seating like an armchair.
- Open storage to display your baby’s favourite keepsakes.
- Paint the door of the wardrobe/s in contrasting coloured stripes to liven up the room.
Adding some of these fresh, modern nursery ideas in your baby’s nursery, will create a beautiful and serene space where baby and parents can spend many happy hours together.
Need any help when it comes to improving your home? Fill in this very simple questionnaire and Bea will be able to attend to your Interior Design needs.
Think this article is helpful? Share it with your friends!