The word ‘kwareżimal’ originates from the Latin word quaresima referring to the 40 days of Lent, and the ingredients of this sweet treat echo the simplicity of food during this period.
This dairy-free recipe makes it a great vegan option. I am also sharing a gluten-free alternative 🙂
Enjoy this chewy treat paired with a glass of Orange liqueur.
PREP 15 MIN | COOKS IN 20MIN | MAKES 16
- 300g Pure ground almonds
- 300g self-raising flour or 300g ground gluten-free oats
- 300g brown sugar ground
- 1 teaspoon Allspice
- 2 teaspoons orange flower water [I used a few drops of doTERRA Wild Orange essential oil]
- 1 teaspoon almond essence
- Tangerine or Orange rind grated
- 200g candied peel chopped [optional]
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Orange juice to bind
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C.
- If using self-raising flour sift it before adding it to the rest of the ingredients
- Add enough orange juice to make a stiff dough
- As you mix the ingredients add the orange juice slowly until you get a stiff dough
- Form into sausage shapes about 7cms long
- When they are laid out on the baking tray, flatten slightly with the back of a fork
- Bake for 20 minutes
- While still hot, brush with honey and decorate with chopped or flaked almonds
Sign up to our Newsletter for more of our free yummy recipes 😋